"How's Ireland?" (Emily)

 "How's Ireland?"

Two words I've heard a lot lately. I appreciate and loathe this question because though I know it is asked with deep interest, I can never give a complete answer in a few words or sentences. So here I am hoping to paint a fuller picture of my experience abroad.

Trying to take it all in


The food

I feel there is a lack of need to describe our current environment (Level 5, restricted movements, online learning, yatta yatta...) as Katherine has already discussed this in detail. Though we are not allowed to dine at Irish restaurants or sit in pubs at the moment, I have experienced a different and (debatably) richer taste of Europe- the French. Surprisingly, I have met more French during my stay in Limerick than Irish. Lucky for me, with the French, comes cheese, wine, crepes, tartiflette, more cheese, lasagna, etc. (pictured below). My roommates not only cook for me, but they teach me and with their continued help, I hope to be quite the chef upon my return to the States. A few other things I've learned from my French friends: Paris may or may not be the best city in France, riots can break out when discussing how to cut potatoes, Pestis and Petanque= the good life, it's always time for cheese, and sharing food is the best time to share life.

Roommate Noemie (France) with my first ever batch of crepes

French roommate with his precious potato collection

Drank a McDonald's shamrock shake in Ireland. Dream. Come. True.
 

Soccer

Although the first month of being here my soccer experience consisted of individual workouts and small group games under the cover of darkness, about two weeks ago, I miraculously had the opportunity to play with an Irish women's national team- Treaty United. Though I cannot play games with the team, as this would make me ineligible to play at Northwestern in the fall, I am beyond grateful to be practicing the sport I love. Right now, only elite athletes are able to practice or even use the pitches, so this opportunity is a huge and remarkable privilege. I only wish the rest of my friends here could utilize and enjoy the incredible sports facilities around us. Hopefully, one day soon. 

Playing with Treaty in authentic Irish weather conditions...


The people

My favorite part of Ireland. My traveling motto is people over places. Whether it's the people you're traveling with or the people you meet, they ultimately make or break an experience and this is especially true during a lockdown. 


Celebrated roommate Maria's (Spain) 21st birthday


The best traveling companion, Katherine (United States)

"As you want,"- a phrase I hear daily from my French friends that I think is rather profound. I don't hear it much in the States, but I think I'll try to bring it back with me. I think this phrase is a perfect representation of the posture of my newfound friends- selfless and giving. They say I am teaching them English, but I think they might be teaching me more.

The mission

I often think about what could have been here- the open pubs, the full soccer pitches, the bustling campus with REAL students, but then I challenge myself to think, what am I left with? What are God's disguised mercies? What has COVID19 given me? The thoughts start flooding in. 

It has given me time to reflect, to grow in my appreciation of the little things I am usually much too busy to recognize: a sunny day, a slow morning with a roommate, margin to maintain relationships with those from home, the desire to pursue every possibility of an adventure, space to assess the health of my soul and the time to heal it, experiencing a rich French culture in the midst of a stagnant Irish one, development of life-long passions, baking, reading, learning of languages, etc. Ireland, COVID, really God has allowed me to step back and appreciate the simple blessings of every day and the people who continually make my days meaningful. Every day I am forced to choose where I will place my hope because ultimately that is where my joy will spring. If my hope was in the Irish government, I'd be pretty miserable, but because my hope is anchored in something and someone that doesn't change and can't be taken from me, I can truly enjoy all these Irish blessings, big and small. My prayer is that my new friends here will one day rest in this same hope. I encourage you to join me in this prayer. 

Resting in the shadow of the cross, literally


Be thou my vision, O Lord of my heart;

naught be all else to me, save that thou art -

thou my best thought, by day or by night;

waking or sleeping, thy presence my light.

Be Thou My Vision, 8th-century Irish hymn


Comments

  1. Well written! I am glad you are looking at things through spiritual eyes, making the most out of your circumstances, and I am mostly looking forward to having you cook when you return to NWC! 💕

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great, God-centered, people-focused perspective! " Love God and neighbors." All else is 2ndary. Miss you! I'll pray with and for you that your friends will rest in the same hope you have! “The LORD is my portion,” says my soul, “therefore I will hope in him.” Lam. 3:24.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this, Em. ❤️❤️❤️ And you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing your trip and your heart Emily. I truly enjoyed reading about how you are seeing the good and positive in every situation. Thinking of you and Katherine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A little late, but I did read this. Beautiful. I am not surprised by this post. It is what we prayed for, it is what you prayed for. God is good and He knows what is best for us. I look forward to the day I get to sit and listen (probably as we walk the streets of OC), to the depth of what our Great God showed your and whispered to you. I love you deeply, Cary

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts